The Royal Hospital School is an independent co-educational boarding and day school for 11-18 year olds, providing an outstanding, full and broad education set in 200 acres of Suffolk countryside overlooking the River Stour. We currently have pupils from 28 different countries at the school and we welcome our International pupils for a fully immersive experience of English education.  We are renowned for our excellent pastoral care, broad range of subjects available and a rich array of opportunities outside of the classroom.

Admissions Process

Applications from international pupils should be made to the International Admissions Office in the first instance. Whether you are applying direct or through an education agent, we will guide you carefully through the process.

When making an initial enquiry please provide as much information as possible about your child's academic achievements, interests and aspirations as well as his or her date of birth, first language and current school. We will need to see copies of your child's two most recent reports together with a scan of his or her passport.

On the basis of this information we will advise you or your educational agent on whether we would be able to consider your child and if you should proceed with the completion of a Registration Form.

Mrs Emily Allinson & Ms Louise Warner

International Admissions Office
+44 (0) 1473 326179 / 6184



BSA Covid-Safe Charter logo

Hear from some of our International Pupils



At the Royal Hospital School, we are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of every boarding pupil. Therefore, we require the parents of all boarding pupils (including those over the age of 18) who do not live in the United Kingdom to appoint a guardian (or guardianship organisation) to act on their behalf.

While we are responsible for each pupil's welfare during term time, and will therefore undertake parentally designated responsibilities, there may be times (for example leave out weekends, ends of term or if a pupil is externally suspended) when we must be able to hand over responsibility for the pupil to another adult. This would normally be the pupil's parent. However, where parents live overseas, it will be the nominated guardian.


On Saturday evenings there are always a number of different activities and social events on offer for boarders, including discos, film nights, House entertainment and barbecues.

Sundays are normally quieter when brunch allows for a little longer in bed, and social and recreational activities tend to be house-based. Some will make use of the sports facilities and there are also regular excursions such as trips to the beach, shopping, roller-skating, ice-skating, sailing or dry skiing.

There are some events held on weekends that are compulsory for all pupils. These may include Sports Day, Remembrance Service, Carol Service, Speech Day and other whole school events.

Midway through each half term there are ‘Quiet Weekends’ when fewer commitments are in the calendar and boarding pupils can go on leave-out. The houses do, however, stay open for remaining pupils. These weekends are extended to include all of Saturday for pupils in Years 7 and 8. There is one non-compulsary full exeat weekend in the Michaelmas Term. Full details on timings can be found on the Term Dates page.