A leading independent boarding and day school
navigating success since 1712
The Royal Hospital School is an independent, co-educational, boarding and day school for 11-18 year olds, providing an outstanding, full and broad education enriched by a unique naval heritage and fit for the modern world. Set in 200 acres of stunning Suffolk countryside overlooking the River Stour, the school is one of East Anglia's leading independent schools.
Top reasons to choose RHS:
1. Inspiring and broad education, with a dynamic technology-led curriculum that leads to GCSEs, A Levels and BTEC qualifications. Our exam years perform consistently well with the majority securing their first choice of future pathway.
2. EXCELLENT rating in every area in our recent inspection (2021) by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI).
3. Pupil wellbeing is at the heart of our approach; children are given an inspiring and nurturing environment in which to navigate their senior school years. Our dedicated Year 7 boarding and day house (Blake) provides a unique and nurturing start to senior school life. We were awarded the prestigious 'Wellbeing Award for Schools' in 2023, following an ambitious initiative to provide excellence in this important area.
4. Personalised academic guidance: challenge and support is provided through our robust tutor system, experienced Learning Support Department and our highly valued English as an Additional Language Department. Our Scholars' Programme stretches the most able and includes many academic stretch and challenge initiatives.
5. Full range of day or boarding options (flexible, 3, 5 or 7 nights). We have a thriving boarding community of approximately 350 UK and international pupils, who enjoy a whole range of social, cultural and educational activities. A full and active weekend programme, including both on and off campus activities, keeps our boarders busy and stimulated, with no compulsory exeats.
6. Exceptional 200-acre campus includes a music school, art and design centre, drama studio, library and resource centre, 96 acres of sports fields, all-weather pitches, indoor swimming pool, golf course, indoor climbing wall, gym and fitness suite, martial arts and dance studios, squash, netball and tennis courts.
7. Centre of musical excellence with facilities that include a cathedral-proportioned chapel, recital hall, recording studio, music technology suite and specialist rooms and high-profile performance opportunities through the Chapel Choir, Chamber Choir, Show Choir, Concert Band, Marching Band, Orchestra and numerous smaller ensembles.
8. World leading Sailing Academy: we have an unrivalled RYA training establishment based at Alton Water reservoir, located a few minutes from the main campus, with a fleet of over 80 boats. All Year 7 pupils are introduced to sailing and more than 100 pupils compete regularly on local, regional, national and international waters.
9. Leading RHS Careers Programme that provides a full range of support including UCAS, apprenticeship and work placement applications, assessment centre advice, industry networking lunches and much more. Our active Alumni network is fully engaged with the school, providing valuable support for our pupils alongside our parent body.
10. Recent awards and nominations include:
- Tatler Schools Guide of Top Public Schools 2024
- Featured in The Good Schools Guide 2024
- Independent School Parent 'Co-Educational School of the Year' Finalist 2023.
- Sunday Times ranked in 'Top independent schools in East Anglia' 2023
- Wellbeing Award for Schools 2023 (Optimus)
- Best School Award Winner 'Empowering Young Entrepreneurs' 2023
- Best School Award Finalist ' Happiest Boarding School' 2023
- Best School Award Highly Commended ' Originality in Teaching Music and the Arts 2023
- School Sustainability Finalist 2023
- Independent School Parent 'International Student Experience' Shortlist 2022.
- BSA Supporting Excellence in Boarding Finalist 2022
- Best Schools Award 'Most innovative Tech-Led teaching' - Highly Commended 2022
- Edtech 50 School: award for excellent use of technology in school 2022
- Centre of Excellence Award for Geography Fieldwork
100+ Co-CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
RYA Sailing Academy
28 elite sailors
Racing and expeditions
6 international trips this year
Austria, Greece, France,
Mexico, Spain, USA
24 peripatetic teachers
23 different instruments
320 pupil lessons per week
22 ensembles, 3 choirs
50 performances per year
14 activities including:
Art, D&T, Drama, Food Technology, Photography, Robotics, Textiles and Woodwork
Duke of Edinburgh's Award
100 Bronze / 41 Silver / 15 Gold
Combined Cadet Force
Navy / Army / Marines / RAF
7 different team sports offered
104 competitive teams
Wide range of sports:
Athletics, Badminton, Ballet, Basketball, Canoeing, Climbing, Cricket, Fitness, Football, Golf, Gym, Hockey, Horse Riding, Kickboxing, Netball, Rugby, Sailing, Scuba, Shooting, Squash, Swimming, Table Tennis, Tennis, Volleyball and Yoga
LIFE AT RHS
Open mornings and private tours are a great way to find out more about RHS, but how can you truly experience what a typical day is like for a pupil at RHS? Well, we commissioned Simon Jones from The Bonjour Agency to find out what really goes on both inside and outside the classroom to give prospective parents and pupils a more in-depth insight into daily life at our school.
Simon joined us at 8am and left at 8pm on a typical Wednesday and managed to capture the essence in this 14-minute video. No stone was left unturned as he explored all areas of the school campus, from exploring biodiversity in the rainforest and analysing the DNA of a kiwi fruit to netball, musical opera and CAD Design.
Enjoy getting to know us …
To arrange a visit and to discuss next steps, please fill out this form and our Admissions Team will be in touch.
Pupils are intuitively sensitive, warm and considerate, adaptable and confident, with a sense of fun!