The Royal Hospital School is part of Greenwich Hospital, a Crown naval charity, one of whose charitable objectives, in accordance with its Royal Charter of 1694 and subsequent legislation, is to provide for the education of the children of seafarers. As a result, Royal Navy,Royal Marines, UK MerchantNavyand certain other seafaring families may be eligible for assistance with boarding fees through a limited number of individual Greenwich Hospital bursaries.Seafarers are defined as:
- The children of serving male or female officers and ratings of the Royal Navy, Royal Marines and UK Merchant Navy.
- The children of retired male or female officers and ratings of the Royal Navy, Royal Marines and UK Merchant Navy.
- The grandchildren of male or female officers and ratings of the Royal Navy, Royal Marines and UK Merchant Navy.
- The children and grandchildren of members of Trinity House and certain other seafaring occupations where there has been substantial seagoing service.
Eligibility does not, however, guarantee the award of a bursary, the value of which is assessed on the basis of parents’ financial circumstances and charitable need, and is at the discretion of the Director of Greenwich Hospital, whose decision is final.
To apply for a bursary from Greenwich Hospitaldocumentary evidence ofa minimum of three years’ seafaring service is required. Once a candidate has been awarded a boardingbursary Greenwich Hospital will endeavour to sustain it through the candidate’s time at the School, subject to the candidate continuing to meet the appropriate standards of behaviour, academic performance and payment of fees.
The value of such bursaries may vary from year to year depending on parental financial circumstances, charitable need and the fees set by the School’s Board of Governors. Greenwich Hospital reserves the right to vary bursaries and the method of bursary assessment from time to time. At least one term's notice of any changes to the bursary assessment method will be given.
Parents who may not be eligible for a means-tested bursary may instead be eligible for a seafarers discount of 15% off the full boarding fee.
Parents applying for a place at the School who may be eligible and wish to apply for a bursary must submit:
- The appropriate Naval service records
- A completed provisional bursary application form no later than 9 December, but not earlier than 5 April of the preceding year.